Saturday, March 27, 2010

A Sun Hat for Little G.

Okay, so first things first--- this sun hat is huge. It's more toddler-sized than baby-sized. But you know what? That's okay. Because it means more protection from the intense New Mexican sun right now, and that G. can still grow into it later. And frankly, I'm just happy I'm completing so much of my spring manifesto already.

In case you're interested, I used McCall's pattern 2213. The pattern for the hat includes a large bow on the back, but I opted to skip that. I'm not in love with the split brim at the back of the neck, sun-protection wise, but I wasn't confident enough to improvise just yet. I chose a cheery cotton print for the outer fabric, and the lining is cool green linen (it seemed a good color to soothe eyes looking out into the sun). The pattern also includes some adorable dress and bloomer designs. I plan on doing a reversible sundress and bloomers in the same print as the hat, reversing to a bright orange batik (orange just seemed far too bright and stimulating for the inside of the brim). I'm fairly happy with the way this little hat turned out, and it will certainly do its job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails