Saturday, July 24, 2010

A Morning Sew


This project had been sitting for, well, weeks.  Yesterday morning I gave myself permission to ignore the rest of the to-do list and just sew during G's morning nap.  It was remarkably soothing.

Ironing, on its own, is a chore I abhor.  I just don't do it.  But ironing as I sew is another thing entirely. It gives me pleasure to see garments take their (imperfect) shape.  And the scent of hot, pressed cotton is one of my favorite things.  It reminds me of summer afternoons spent in my grandmother's dark and cavernous living room, sewing some doll clothes on her Singer after a long, bright morning spent in the garden.  It is the feeling of working side by side with someone you love, guided by their knowledge, seeing their enjoyment that you enjoy working with your hands, too.

The smell that rises off the iron always takes me back there, immediately.  And for that I am grateful.

2 comments:

  1. I too despise ironing - though I hate it all the time, and therefore often neglect to do it while sewing, even when I know I should!

    The pattern I used for the skirt I made is Maire from Burda style, and its free!

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails