Inspired by the 19th-century parlor game and regular Vanity Fair feature. Look for Part II next Monday. If you want to play along, leave yours (or a link to yours) in the comments!
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Being at home surrounded by children and animals and flowers, with an hour or two to be alone and read in bed.
2. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
3. What is your greatest extravagance?
Fresh flowers in the depths of winter.
4. What do you dislike most about your appearance?
My peasant-stock stubby legs (although now they are competing with my softening jawline).
5. What is your greatest regret?
Deciding not to study abroad because I was afraid to leave a boy.
6. Which talent would you most like to have?
Any sort of musical ability.
7. What is your current state of mind?
8. If you were to die and come back as a person or thing, what do you think it would be?
Can I go backwards in (fictional) time and be Elizabeth Bennett?
9. What is your most treasured possession?
My tweed teddy bear, made from my grandfather's old coat by my grandmother and I.
10. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
Having to make small talk at parties.
(14 down, 86 to go.)