Monday, May 31, 2010
List 7: Summer Memories
1. Slip n' Slides. Wet grass stuck to knees and elbows.
2. Finding tiny wild strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries in the woods.
3. Wiffle ball, T-ball, and Little League games. Being assigned to right field and completely not giving a shit. Fending off mosquitoes and staring at the sunset, or people watching, or picking dandelions only to realize--- too late--- that a ball is headed my way. The handslapping rhythm of "Goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame" after a win or a loss.
4. Riding bikes with neighborhood kids at dusk, smelling hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill, waiting for fireflies to come out so we can catch them in Mason jars.
5. Going to Seward's for ice cream, my parents insisting there is a drip on the cone we need "help" with.
6. Floating on the lake in inner tubes. Trying to "surf" and inevitably falling.
7. Being convinced that if swallowed, a watermelon seed would grow out of one's stomach. Or one's butt.
8. Sitting around a campfire, smoke in eyes, while the uncles tell terrifying ghost stories.
9. Riding with the car windows all the way down, hand riding the air, or riding in the back of a pickup truck.
10. The feel of a hot car seat on a wet-bathing-suited bum.
What are yours?
(7 down, 93 to go.)