Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sauteed Beets and Greens

Since beets are an oft-hated vegetable, this is a bit of an awkward follow up to my zucchini rant. I fully admit I'm a former beet skeptic myself.  We get them every once in awhile in our CSA box, and while we've begun enjoying the greens, I often found the beets themselves going ignored and ending up in the compost.

Well, no more.  Tonight I made roasted beets and sauteed it with the greens (and with shallots from our garden!  Recipe here.) along with whole wheat pasta in an herbed ricotta sauce, washed down with white wine.  Yum. 

Now on to that kholrabi that's been sitting in refrigerator.  What the hell does one do with kholrabi?

4 comments:

  1. isn't using veggies from your own garden just so satisfying?

    thanks for visiting my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I just came upon your blog, very nice! I LOVE beets :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just had our first beets and their greens from the garden the other day! Delicious sauteed in olive oil and salted. MMMMMmmm. We grow Chiogga beets which have stripes inside. So glad you tried beets and found them yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. kholrabi. hehe my dad tried to grow that up in NH when he had a little farm. I think you can cook it as you would a zucchini. Just such a strange looking beggie : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails