Thursday, May 6, 2010

An Unfurling

The roses are finally coming out, little blooms slowly unfurling everywhere.  It's amazing to me that the bushes recovered from the severe pruning I did in March--- the leaves are glossy and shiny and the buds look like they're about to burst into blossom any day now.

It was nice to stand outside in the morning sun and to photograph these roses, to enjoy another thing coming to life in the garden, to breathe in a few quiet moments while G. naps.  I've been quietly overwhelmed this week by everyday things looming on the horizon--- and unfortunately my coping mechanism has been to do nothing at all and allow myself to feel even more overwhelmed.  Today I think I began to breathe again.

I started reading May Sarton's Journal of a Solitude last night, and I was grateful to have discovered it (thank you, Brooke).  I think Sarton's meditations on the importance of being alone and on the natural world were reminders I needed as of late.

1 comment:

  1. Angela, I'm thrilled that book grabbed you! I love Sarton's solitude, her habits: her work ethic, her love for flowers. Hope she gives you happiness too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails