1. I have an irrational fear of slugs, stemming from the time I was a nanny in the South of France and stuck in an old villa alone with a toddler during a thunderstorm. Gargantuan slugs started creeping into the house, from everywhere, in the dark, to escape the storm. I was scarred for life. I also realize that this sounds like some sort of bad Gothic parody.
2. Unnaturally blue foods (think Kool-Aid, bakery frosting) really, really bother me.
3. When we first moved to New Mexico we were unemployed and decided to make a few bucks as extras in a movie with Sam Shepard. We shot a cocktail party scene until four in the morning, in the middle of nowhere, and drove home on empty highways watching a full moon hang over the mountains while dawn broke.
4. When I was little I wanted a pony so badly I tried to fashion one out of a wooden sawhorse, with a flower pot for the head, an old bath mat for a saddle, and a belt for a tail. My father and a neighbor decided to play things up by putting manure under it. I was not amused.
5. I love to read, but most books (no matter how good) seem to leave my head as soon as I'm done with them.
6. Two years ago I started keeping a five-year diary. There's just enough space to jot down a few images from the day, and I love looking at the page and seeing where I was the year or two before. Life is so good lately it makes me smile.
7. Related to that, there is nothing I love more than a new Moleksine notebook. Which means I have half-filled Moleskine notebooks all over the house.
8. I go through cycles of collecting and purging, and always seem to find a use for an item a year or two after I've parted with it.
9. My Jack Russell terrier Chesney is named after a man in a pub in Bath, England, who walked up to my friend and licked the side of her face. The canine Chesney and I met much the same way, hence the name.
10. I have always, always longed to take this sort of trip.
(4 down, 96 to go. This one inspired by Brooke.)