Monday, March 8, 2010

Paper Crane Mobile

After a few months of lying next to us in a cosleeper, G. is slowly transitioning to her own crib. Her vision is also becoming clearer, so a few weeks ago we decided that she could really use a mobile. The standard baby ones seemed way overpriced and left me a bit cold, and I couldn't find enough time (or get two hands free long enough) to make the more involved one I fell in love with when pregnant.

All that said, I decided to bust out my middle school origami skills to make an easy and low-cost mobile (if you need a paper crane refresher like I did, click here). I found this wire mobile and simply clipped ten cranes to it. It moves really slowly and gently, so it isn't too overstimulating, and if G. gets bored with it, I can easily unclip the cranes and put in something else. I'll be doing a second one to put over her changing table soon.

As simple as it was to make, this was a project that really touched my sentimental side was well. Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes, by Eleanor Coerr, was such an important book to me as a child. It's something I can't wait to share it with G. when she's a bit older.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails